Filters Exercise 1 Yellow

Brian Metcalf has offered to organise group sessions on how to get the best out of monochrome images. He will devise a programme and post it in this SIG froum. He can be contacted using monochrome@beaconcameraclub.co,uk

Filters Exercise 1 Yellow

Postby BrianMet » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:29 pm

As we start to look at light and how it behaves I would like everyone to investigate using a Yellow filter, don't worry it's not going to get all scary and scientific.
My cameras allows me to shoot mono jpeg's and they pop up in the preview window to see what I'm getting but I would ask you to start thinking and seeing in mono.

I asked myself if filters were relevant these days given the amount of editing software available. What you need to remember, a filter placed in front of the lens is affecting the available light coming into the camera. If you start manipulating the digital info later, your software was based on a programming instruction built by an oriental who has no idea of what your landscape picture was supposed to look like.

Exercise 1

Do you have some filters knocking around
Check your camera controls, do you have a mono setting. Can you include a yellow filter
I used P mode for the shoot and AWB everything else set to zero we will look at contrast and things later

Take a series of 4 photos
1. straight colour
2. straight mono.
3. straight mono with camera filter set to Y (yellow)
4. straight mono with external yellow filter

compare the results
post examples here, critique and look at this sections Facebook
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BrianMet on Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianMet

Re: FILTERS Exercise 1 Yellow

Postby BillCr » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:18 pm

Brian,

I can't find any yellow filters on my Lumix G80 or rather there are 22 filter effects which I've never explored.They're labeled "Toy pop" and "high key" and "impressive art" and so on. I can't see any plain "yellow". Am I missing something?
BillCr

Postby BillCr » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:32 pm

Anyway, here's my post using PSE11 convert to black and white button and tweaking the red, green and blue sliders levels and then using levels to darken it and then fill layer with 50% grey to increase the contrast. I think.

P1050634.ed4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BillCr

Postby BrianMet » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:20 pm

nice one Bill, thanks for posting, I would try to increase the highlights so you get a bit of a lead in to the photo
BrianMet

Return to Monochrome