How do I resize my images for the competition upload system?

Questions & answers regarding submissions and rules applying to competitions

How do I resize my images for the competition upload system?

Postby IanT » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:41 pm

A number of members have asked this question and it's not always obvious what should be done, especially with some of the more obscure image handling software out there.

What is important: Images should be JPEG (highest quality) and in the sRGB colour space. They must be no more than 1920 pixels wide and 1200 pixels high and these numbers cannot be interchanged. So, a portrait format image (i.e. where its base is shorter than its height) must not exceed 1200 pixels high. The DPI figure is unimportant - this is used when scaling hard copies and has no relevance for a projected image. If you work with JPEG images out of your camera, please watch out when resizing that yo don't over-write your original files

To make life easy, you can use this little Windows utility that we knocked together - it will take any JPEG or TIFF image (also many at once) and downsize it/them in a 'quality' way to suit the club (and external comp) specifications. It gives you a preview of the selected file(s) and will also allow you to convert between TIFF and JPEG in either direction. What's more, the software automatically renames the file before saving so that you don't lose your originals.

You can download the program from here --- (don't worry if your system warns you that 'the publisher hasn't been verified', or that 'it could harm your computer' - it has been scanned for viruses, etc..)

http://www.beaconcameraclub.co.uk/downloads/resizer.exe
IanT
Committee Member

Re: How do I resize my images for the competition upload sys

Postby IanT » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:33 am

This utility has been upgraded a bit, to remove a couple of little bugs and to allow you to save the downsized files to a different directory. It has been checked for viruses, so you are quite safe to ignore warnings from your system about downloading EXE files.
IanT
Committee Member

Return to Competition Info and Q&A