Facebook permission included on comp entry system

Comments on the way the club is run? Suggestions about events or topics that you'd like covered? Keep it clean, though!

Facebook permission included on comp entry system

Postby peterr » Sun May 05, 2019 12:46 pm

Currently, placed competition images are being posted on the club's Facebook pages along with the names of the successful authors. The club rightfully recognises the need to ask the author of an image for permission before doing this. Rather than going round asking authors verbally at club meetings or via email, which can lead to errors or misunderstandings, couldn't this be included as a simple tick box for each of the entered images on the club's competition entry system?
peterr

Re: Facebook permission included on comp entry system

Postby TonyMac » Sun May 05, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi Pete this would be good but will everyone remember to tick the box. maybe we could make it that an entry will not upload until the box is ticked. I will ask the question cheers Tony
TonyMac
Chairman

Postby peterr » Sun May 05, 2019 8:08 pm

TonyMac wrote
Hi Pete this would be good but will everyone remember to tick the box. maybe we could make it that an entry will not upload until the box is ticked. I will ask the question cheers Tony

I assume that in most instances the member would be OK with their image being posted on Facebook, so my suggestion would be to make it that agreement is taken as given unless a box is ticked to say that you explicitly do not want the image posted on Facebook.
peterr

Postby PennyW » Sun May 12, 2019 10:46 am

Normally I do ask via Email. This is a good in the sense that you do get a definite answer yes or no from most members, which is great; but there are other members that don't really use their email and don't check. It is a shame that those members are missing out on showing their fine photos, if they had wanted to.

I've also realised that I don't personally have a clue who most members are and thought at the last competition during the break, it would be a good idea to ask in person as many as I could for their permissions. On the whole it worked well and it seemed welcome on both sides, with people also not knowing who I was being able to put a face to a name. Unfortunately one photo did get a bit confused and put up by mistake, but there were an unusually large amount of winners that night with the practical and the nature competitions both on the same night, so I doubt that would happen again.

A better way of doing this (in my opinion), rather than me go and ask each winner if they are okay, would be for the winner to find me in the break or at the end and tell me if they do not want a photo used. If anyone has entered a photo and not able to attend the evening, again just send me an email publicitybeaconcameraclub@gmail.com and I will make sure, should it do well I don't include it on facebook/instagram.
Perpetual student of life!
PennyW
Press & Publicity

Postby peterr » Mon May 13, 2019 12:54 pm

PennyW wrote -
A better way of doing this (in my opinion), rather than me go and ask each winner if they are okay, would be for the winner to find me in the break or at the end and tell me if they do not want a photo used. If anyone has entered a photo and not able to attend the evening, again just send me an email publicitybeaconcameraclub@gmail.com and I will make sure, should it do well I don't include it on facebook/instagram.

Well that does muddy the waters a bit Penny. Can we please have clarification of the official BCC club policy on this? In particular, is the onus on the author of the image to make it clear that they don't want the club to post it on social media? If so then this should be clearly stated on the competition entry system. In my view a simple "tick box", as I suggested, still provides the neatest option (assuming it is easy to implement).
peterr

Postby ronj » Mon May 13, 2019 3:09 pm

I think yours is the best way forward Peter. I also don't recognise some of the faces of members avatars, are they old images? That's one of the problems with social media you only see what people want you to see!
ronj

Postby BrianMet » Wed May 15, 2019 1:29 pm

Isn't there somewhere on here, perhaps on your profile that says BCC is free to use your photo
BrianMet

Postby PhilC » Wed May 15, 2019 2:36 pm

Without wishing to seem negative, I think we do need to take care with Facebook posts.

Also, I think there is a difference between the Beacon’s own website that the club has control over, (and I think we accept that the club may use images for the purposes of external competitions, but the member still has copyright of those images), and the more public Facebook. Some sitters for my portraits may not be completely happy with wider dissemination, though I offer a model release for more professional activity. Buried in Facebook’s t&cs there may also be copyright/usage issues.

Thankfully, I have not entered as many competitions this year so I have not had the benefit of a Facebook request.

The club’s website is functional and free and an asset to the club. Having had images taken and used unlicensed I am becoming more wary, though perhaps I’m becoming more grumpy old man as time goes on.

The place where we currently define how our images are used is in the User Profiles section...
PhilC

Postby peterr » Fri May 17, 2019 6:11 pm

The option in the "Profile" section of the "User Control Panel" is only permission for the club to use images for "Club-based competitive purposes". It does not give permission for images to be posted on social media. My suggestion of the tick box on the competition entry system allows the author of the photograph to make the choice on an image by image basis.
peterr

Postby TonyMac » Fri May 17, 2019 9:33 pm

You are correct Peter and we will be discussing the possibilities of a tick box at next week committee meeting
TonyMac
Chairman

Postby mikec » Sat May 18, 2019 10:17 am

Might I also suggest that any images posted on the club's Facebook page be resized to a lower resolution (and, potentially, over-stamped with a copyright notice or watermark)? Sounds like a bit of a faff, but not difficult with most photo editors these days. I reckon that would satisfy most people's concerns about having their work stolen and re-used elsewhere without permission.
mikec

Postby PennyW » Sat May 18, 2019 12:13 pm

mikec wrote:Might I also suggest that any images posted on the club's Facebook page be resized to a lower resolution (and, potentially, over-stamped with a copyright notice or watermark)? Sounds like a bit of a faff, but not difficult with most photo editors these days. I reckon that would satisfy most people's concerns about having their work stolen and re-used elsewhere without permission.

I have offered the idea of watermark previously at a committee meeting, at the time it was not taken up. The images submitted for competitions are already fairly reduced. Would you prefer to have the thumbnails used instead? That would be an easy thing to do. If it's a size between the 2 it would take considerably longer again.
PennyW
Press & Publicity

Postby PennyW » Sat May 18, 2019 12:20 pm

ronj wrote:I think yours is the best way forward Peter. I also don't recognise some of the faces of members avatars, are they old images? That's one of the problems with social media you only see what people want you to see!

Or in some cases there is no face photo at all or it's obscured by a camera or it's a photo of something else altogether. A photo is a moment of time, so it is rarely what you see in front of you. The same goes for landscape, nature etc. I guess that is what the name badges are for?
PennyW
Press & Publicity

Postby mikec » Sat May 18, 2019 12:23 pm

I usually reduce my images to no more than 800 pixels along the longest side. That seems a low enough resolution to dissuade people from copying it and using it elsewhere, but high enough to look pretty decent on Facebook. Other people may think differently, of course.

I once posted an 800x600 picture on a private WhatsApp thread, and the other members all wanted to print it at A3 to put it on their walls at home!! (I persuaded them to let me print proper A3 prints for them, thank goodness). So I guess you can't stop image theft even when making the resolution so small it won't print decently.
mikec

Return to Suggestion box