Mobile phone use during presentations.

Comments on the way the club is run? Suggestions about events or topics that you'd like covered? Keep it clean, though!

Mobile phone use during presentations.

Postby billf » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Picking up on the comments from Nigel and reply from Colin in Competition feedback.

I think we all agree that phones should be silenced during presentations. They can also be distracting even if silenced. If you are at the back of the room and they are being used in your eye line it's impossible to ignore even if they are being used for "legitimate reasons".

Also as a presenter seeing someone's face lit up by a screen can be disconcerting, is the person taking notes or doing something completely unconnected?

Perhaps it's a minor inconvenience we have to learn to tolerate!

Cheers

Bill Fleming
billf

Re: Mobile phone use during presentations.

Postby colinw » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:30 am

Fair points Bill.

As I spend a very large part of my professional life doing presentations, I am very well aware of what it's like being at the front of the room. I would say that, nowadays, looking across and audience and not seeing anyone using a device of some kind would be rare. I take the view that, if they don't want to pay attention to me, that's their loss. :-) Of course, I would be unimpressed if they are distracting other people.
colinw
Membership Secretary

Postby gregm » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:57 am

I think a lot of people, myself included, would appreciate an "Etiquette Guide for the use of Electronic Devices". It would be based around good manners and respect for other people.
gregm

Postby IanT » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:26 pm

I've noticed an increasing use of phones during presentations. I perceive two reasons for this: (1) The person is making notes regarding some comment from the presenter - I know this to be the case in at least one instance and it might be argued that this is 'legitimate' (2) The person concerned is uninterested in what is being said by the presenter.

In case (1), in my opinion there is no easily understandable 'legitimate' reason for using a smartphone in a dark room. It is distracting to both the presenter and those sitting nearby. If you would like to take notes, you can use a pen and paper.

In case (2), if you're bored or the phone use is that important, please leave the room via the kitchen and apologise for the disturbance.

In both cases, it's more than a bit rude - selfish even - to light up the area in which the phone-person is sitting.

I always switch off my phone during the evening: I would encourage others to do the same.

I will mention this on Thursday at the start of the evening.
IanT
Chairman

Postby billf » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:31 pm

i think it's all been covered by the thoughtful responses, thank you.

Cheers

Bill Fleming
billf

Return to Suggestion box