B&I Competition File sizing?

Visit the coffee shop for a general chat about anything....

Re: B&I Competition File sizing?

Postby colinw » Sat May 02, 2020 10:46 am

They will appear a little bit smaller on the screen. This would matter more when projected than it does now.
If you'd like some hand-holding on image resizing [which is a bit of a minefield], do get in touch: mail@colinwalls.com
colinw
Membership Secretary

Postby IanT » Fri May 08, 2020 10:01 am

Hi Peter,

WYou can, of course, use Lightroom or Photoshop for this but we have an easy-to-use resizing utility especially for the purpose: Windows-based (sorry nothing for Mac!), it will take JPG and TIF files as the source and produce output files which don't overwrite the originals. It has been update recently (Oct 2023) to allow for the new 4K projector. You can download it here http://www.beaconcameraclub.co.uk/phpBB ... esizer.exe

Whatever you do, don't 'upsize' a small image - this will simply replicate pixels and it will look very soft when displayed.
IanT
Internal CompSec

Postby IanT » Fri May 08, 2020 12:14 pm

colind wrote:Any thoughts on using fewer pixels when we are not using the projecter?

There have been comments on some pictures missing bits Damsel Flies fhttp://www.beaconcameraclub.co.uk/phpB ... e_id=12948
In the last competition appeared on my screen and the judge's with the bottom of the tail missing.

Looking at images at home I may be using 4 screens of different set up and type at different type, should we be going less extreme?

I realise now that using sharpening export from lightroom needs to be checked and may overdo what has carefully controlled in your editing.

Any other tips on difficult images?

Well, there's nothing technically wrong with using a smaller image. However, when projecting we don't enlarge or reduce files that have been submitted, because that might mean altering the apparent sharpness of an image. It's a choice to be made by the author - a smaller image will mean it occupies less screen space; a larger will mean it'll be cropped to the screen size. Unless you have an extreme crop-in to your picture, it's unlikely that you'll run out of pixels when reducing, given the sensor size of most cameras these days.

If a picture is missing bits when projected, this will be because it is either taller or wider (or both) than the 1920 h x1200 v of our projector - it's as simple as that. If the image is less than those dimensions, nothing will be missing. If you're referring to the recent Zoom meetings, make sure that your Zoom video is setup to "fit to screen" (dropdown choice, top/middle of the Zoom screen)

I don't quite understand the q. relating to 4 different screens. If they are all different resolutions, and you show them at native resolution (i.e. 1 pixel in the image means 1 pixel on the screen) then they will all be shown at different sizes. The way around that is to Zoom to fit every screen, though this might mean pixel replication or destruction, depending uponthe screen res. What do you mean by 'going less extreme'?

Never 'sharpen for screen'. Do what you want to the image as if for printing and just size it downwards only, never upsize it: if you have to do the latter, the image is probably too small to start with.

Tips on difficult images? Define 'difficult'!
IanT
Internal CompSec

Postby IanT » Sun May 10, 2020 11:20 am

colind wrote:There have been comments on some pictures missing bits Damsel Flies fhttp://www.beaconcameraclub.co.uk/phpB ... e_id=12948
In the last competition appeared on my screen and the judge's with the bottom of the tail missing.

"If a picture is missing bits when projected, this will be because it is either taller or wider (or both) than the 1920 h x1200 v of our projector - it's as simple as that. If the image is less than those dimensions, nothing will be missing."

Is it possible to slip a non valid picture through? Not a problem I have as recently I have been using a present in Lightroom.
iant wrote:No, the system checks image dimensions at the point of upload and refuses to handle it even if it is just one pixel too big in either dimension

"If you're referring to the recent Zoom meetings, make sure that your Zoom video is setup to "fit to screen" (dropdown choice, top/middle of the Zoom"

Will check my zoom settings, but I think the critic was having the same problem. Could be to do with multiple screens? Not entirely happy with fiddellng on the fly as I have dropped out before.

Is it worth controlling the pixel count on Photoshop resizing rather than using the export from Lightroom (where I have a 1920x1200 preset)?

iant wrote: It doesn't really matter where the dimension adjustment is made - downsizing an image in PS or LR will be exactly the same. In PS DON'T change the canvas or image size in the top menu under "Image|image size", use the "File|automate|fit image" function instead. And don't forgot to save your image BEFORE you do that, not after!

If I used Photoshop I could increase the canvas to frame the print and avoid some of the missing edges.
iant wrote:If it's sized correctly to 1920 x 1200 there will be no missed edges.

Perhaps 1800x1080 for the image with 30 px of white and 30 px of black to alter the perception. Border colours determined by image. I feel I need to do a few experiments.
iant wrote:Borders are up to you but when projected, more than a 1 or 2 pix border of any colour stands out too much and overwhelms the image, and borders waste image space.

The four screens comment is a about how the images appear differently according to the screen I look at. Most of the time I am not a pixel peeper so I am fitting the image to the screen size. I do not use the 4K TV to view competition entries, but only my own images.
iant wrote:...so I don't understand the problem there....

"Tips on difficult images? Define 'difficult'!"

I hear comments on blown whites and lack of detail in the dark. While This can obviously be a fault with the original capture or in the processing, it could be to do with the screen that is being used? By difficult image I mean one that is using the limits of the display capabilities. Keep within the range 20 to 235 rather than 0 to 255?
iant wrote:This is where correct calibration of your screen is important. Borrow the club calibrator (if you haven't already) and sort that out first. Then you can be sure that what you see is what will be seen when shown by the club projector. You should not need to work within specific limits thereafter, other than by ensuring that your image data is within the zero to full range available. There is a caveat: with Zoom presentations, we are dependent upon the calibration of each viewer's screen and there will be those who don't have calibrated screens. This is a problem that can't really be solved with remote viewing but which doesn't exist with the club projector, becasue that is accurately calibrated.
IanT
Internal CompSec

Postby rogerb » Thu May 14, 2020 10:19 am

On a Mac it is very easy, as one would expect. :wink:

I would start by locating the file in Finder, right-clicking, and choosing "Duplicate". You can give the duplicate a new name or accept the default, which is the original with "copy" added on. This guarantees that you will still have the original.

Then all you have to do is to open the file in Preview (which will be your default for images unless you have changed it when installing photo software). In the menu, go to TOOLS, ADJUST SIZE and the options are laid out in front of you. Change units to "pixels" and type in whatever size you want. Make sure "Scale Proportionally" is checked, and then Save or Export (you need Export if you want to change the format, eg from TIFF to JPG).

There is a DPI setting but this can be ignored as, providing size is measured in Pixels, it doesn't make any difference.

Roger
rogerb

Return to Coffee shop