SD Cards

Visit the coffee shop for a general chat about anything....

SD Cards

Postby BrianMet » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:39 am

Just going through my wallet of little SD cards as you do when there is sod or else to do, I got to wondering what the variations were and why bother these days with 4GB. My main cards now are Lexar 16GB high speed but I see some are higher speeds for video etc.
So what do we do with the smaller cards which have very slow write speeds, they still work, but cameras spec's these days are far higher and process info much quicker.
Just wondering as it's not a topic that crops up in the club, what others use.

and if your not sure what the hell I'm on about put all your cards out on the table and have look at the numbers.
BrianMet

Re: SD Cards

Postby IanT » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:44 am

As far as we 'stills' snappers are concerned, there's nothing wrong with using your old cards: their write speed is no doubt less than the more modern variants, but that only limits the rate at which you can take pictures when your camera's internal buffer is full and has to empty into the SD card. If you use your camera for video, you might find that your older cards just aren't quick enough to put the data away as fast as the camera generates it. Possibly true for 1920 x 1080 for some cards, certainly true if you want to take at 4k.
IanT
Internal CompSec

Postby peterr » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:32 am

One potential use for an old small capacity SD card (e.g. 4Gbyte) is to reformat it and then use it when you need to download and install updates to your camera's firmware. The 4GByte capacity will usually be more than enough for doing this and the updating instructions for my cameras always tell you to start with a completely clean card.
peterr

Postby BrianMet » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:08 pm

thanks for the comments guys
BrianMet

Return to Coffee shop