Insurance

Visit the coffee shop for a general chat about anything....

Insurance

Postby LinM » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:56 am

Well, we had a great trip over Christmas, marred only by the theft of my iPhone, sorted on travel insurance on D's bank account, and the damage to my camera and two lenses when it fell from a table. We chose our insurance company because of its fab reviews. Not a cheap option. Anyway, they agree to it going to a Canon place (Lehman's). The estimates come through and I ring the insurance company to talk about next steps.

It turns out that, even though we were eligible for a protected no claims bonus, we were supposed to infer this from one line in 21 sides of information when renewal came up in August and ring up and ask for it. I queried this with the claims advisor who put me through to a different department who repeated the "ring up" mantra a couple of times. She seemed to finally accept that this could have been done better i.e. Explained in the letter accompanying all the bumpf and promised to go and speak to a boss when she gets in at 11am today.

Now, if they agree to reinstate this because of their lack of transparency, we are wondering now whether to claim for the damage on the kit or keep that in place in case of something happening to the house. It is also making me think that I might separate the two. Someobody has said to me that even if I don't claim, they will hold it against us when it is time to renew. The cost of repairs is just under £1k.

Someone else said that you can never win with insurers.

Thoughts?
LinM

Re: Insurance

Postby peterr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:14 am

Yes, i do wonder if it is worth paying anything extra for NCD protection these days. Insurance companies seem to count any claim (or even something that could have led to a claim) as an "incident" (regardless of who was at fault and regardless of NCD protection). They then tend to put up premiums next time round, as they consider anyone who has had an "incident" in the last five years as more likely to claim.
peterr

Re: Insurance

Postby LinM » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:03 am

Well, who knows? I will find out in a couple of hours whether or not the higher premium paid to this company has been a waste of money; I feel somewhat bolshy about this and might even start writing to the insurance ombudsman if there is one! Currently thinking that I will take the hit and pay for the NCD after this is sorted... Sharks....
LinM

Return to Coffee shop