First go in the hide

Visit the coffee shop for a general chat about anything....

First go in the hide

Postby beats » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:48 pm

Only a short stay from 6am as it was a bit darker than expected due to cloud. I had a 1.4x TC on my 70-200 for some extra reach, but that robs a stop of light so I regularly hit ISO 10k+. Slower shutter alleviated that of course, but then I lost many more shots to subject movement. No big deal though - still enjoyed it and will look for better conditions next time I visit. One thing that *really* struck me though was just how much reach you actually need for this little birdy stuff. Small birds more than 10ft from the hide were unexpectedly small in the frame at 280mm. Maybe there should be a 400/2.8 in my future after all - xmas is coming :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Knowledge is cheap. Experience isn't.
beats

Re: First go in the hide

Postby ronj » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:50 pm

Very nice Steve.
ronj

Postby PeterJ » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:16 pm

Yes, very nice photos. I agree about needing more reach and those longer shutter speeds, thank goodness for Father Christmas!!

I'm keen to visit the hide and will be taking my Canon 7D Mk 2 with a 400mm F5.6 telephoto lens (and tripod of course). I also have a little Nikon V1 which, with a 30-110 mm lens seems to get remarkably close and still keeps things sharp.

What fun it will be to compare the outcomes...

Cheers

Peter
PeterJ

Postby PeterJ » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:31 pm

untitled-14.jpg

On my laptop screen the bird's feet look very sharp and some of the whispery feathers can be seen too. Considering this was hand held and taken without much time for any of the technical stuff or composition etc.I was very pleased with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterJ

Postby ronj » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:37 pm

Young Robin !
ronj

Return to Coffee shop