Slide scanner

Post your question here for consideration by members who know the answer!

Slide scanner

Postby billf » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:52 am

Thinking of buying a slide scanner. Any advice on desirable features and cost.
Thank you.
Bill Fleming.
billf

Re: Slide scanner

Postby tonyb » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:05 pm

Still using my old Canon CanoScan 9000F which I bought many moons ago.
I do not know if Canon do an upgraded version.
tonyb

Postby billf » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:25 am

Thank you Tony.
billf

Postby peterr » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:40 pm

If you are buying new Bill, then you will have little choice other than to go for Plustek. They always seem to get good reviews. Of the significant number of discontinued models, the old Konica Minolta Dimage 5400 is reckoned to be about the best. There are still quite a few of these around second hand, but they seem to fetch between £300 and £400 on ebay, so a bit pricey. They aren't compatible with Windows 10, but I think there might be Vuescan driver s/w for it from Ed Hamrick.

You will need to look for at least 3200 dpi resolution and highest possible Dmax (dynamic range).
peterr

Postby IanT » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:04 am

I Have a Nikon Coolscan that you can borrow, Bill. However, a warning!! Film.slide scanners are v. slow. Also, unless you can droipe a stack of slides into a feeder magazine (mine doesn't have this) they are a bind. 2 mins to scan a slide, then nothing happens until youtake that one out and put another in.

Here's a suggestion: Fix up a method of supporting a slide in front of a diffused backlight, then put extension tubes on a lens on your camera, fill the frame with the slide and - click! As quick as anything and really good quality output. If you're clever with your slide mount, swopping them in and out will happen as fast as you can move your hands.
IanT
Internal CompSec

Postby billf » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:24 am

Thank you everyone for your advice and for offers of scanners, yet another example of the benefits of being a member of BCC!
The slides I am intending to copy are currently inaccessible due to lockdown so no hurry. I think I might try Ian's suggestion on some I've got here.....those memorable images that finished off the Slide competition some years ago!
See you all Thursday.
billf

Postby peterr » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:25 pm

Following on from Ian's suggestion, I have an old slide Duplicator which you are welcome to borrow Bill. Should be fine if you have a full frame camera. You will, however, need a T2 adaptor to fit it to your camera (which I assume is Canon EOS DSLR). Not quite the same quality as the slide scanner, but potentially a lot quicker. If you have a Canon / M42mm adaptor then I have M42 / T2, so could also probably cobble something together that way.
peterr

Postby billf » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:39 pm

Thank you Peter. I'm going to try a few ideas and see what they look like.
I'll be in touch if I need to take up your kind offer, the slides are marooned in Northumberland!
billf

Return to Help me!