Sensor Cleaning

Post your question here for consideration by members who know the answer!

Sensor Cleaning

Postby PhilO » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:43 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation for where I should take my camera to have its sensor cleaned? Alternatively, is it a relatively simple diy job and, if so, what equipment / kit would I need? Thank you.
PhilO

Re: Sensor Cleaning

Postby IanT » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:26 am

With EXTREME care, you can do it yourself using one of the kits generally available online. In my experience, the need for wet cleaning is very rare, unless you've sneezed onto the sensor, or some such! More often, dust will be the culprit and that can be removed with a brush. More tricky is dust that is charged with static electricity and quite difficult to get off the sensor surface - you won't know this variety until you try to remove it, but it just gets moved to another place - this can be removed with a brush designed to discharge the static, again available online in a number of places.

Pragmatically speaking, if you've only a few persistent dust specks, just clone them out in your editor - much less risky than potentially making the sensore dirtier.
IanT
Chairman

Postby rogerb » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:26 pm

You don't mention a blower, which is pretty safe and is often enough. It is easy enough to avoid touching the sensor, which is the only way you can damage it. Not an aerosol can (disaster - avoid under all circumstances) but a rubber bulb that you squeeze.

But if you do need wet (or rather damp, because you should not get the swab wet - just a single drop of fluid is enough) cleaning, it is not that difficult so long as you use decent swabs, the correct fluid and follow the instructions.Having said that, Ian is right that you should not have to do this very often (especially if you use a blower regularly). I got a packet of swabs ages ago, and still haven't opened them. In the past I seemed to have to do it much more often. Not sure why the change.

If you do want someone else to clean a really dirty sensor, I guess London Camera Exchange is probably closest, though I think they charge around £30 a go,

Roger
rogerb

Postby PhilO » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:19 am

Thank you for your sage advice. I'll take the phased approach as suggested and start by using a blower. Hopefully, a trip to the London Camera Exchange wont be necessary. Thanks again.
PhilO

Postby IanT » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:56 pm

Aaargh! A blower just moves the dust around and potentially disloges other particles lurking in the wings. You need to remove the dust without a gale circulating around the mirror box.
IanT
Chairman

Postby beats » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:02 am

I'll clean your sensor Phil, and show you "how" so you have confidence to do it yourself.
You have to be careful and not get nonchalant about it, but it's dead easy to do.
It's certainly *not* worth paying someone else £30+ to do it for you!!!

PM me.

Cheers
Beats
Knowledge is cheap. Experience isn't.
beats

Postby rogerb » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:43 pm

I would normally defer to Ian, who is far more expert on these things than I am, but I have found that blowing dust off, often holding the camera upside down so that gravity helps, does clear the dust. As for dust in the camera, surely regular blowing can keep the whole camera relatively dust-free - I aim the blower not just at the sensor but all round the chamber, trying to keep it clean. Could it be that SLR's, because they have more moving parts, generate more dust than mirrorless. Probably not, but Ian will be thinking DSLR whereas I think mirrorless. I would not use a brush at all because of the danger that a bit of grease gets on it and hence on to the sensor.
rogerb

Return to Help me!