Image sizes for forum post attachments

The odd (and not-so-odd) announcement about forum management issues will be placed here

Image sizes for forum post attachments

Postby IanT » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:34 am

So as to reduce the amount of server space used for images, we have imposed a limit of image size to less than 800 pixels horizontal and 1000 vertical. This is big enough to see plenty of detail, but should reduce the load on our storage space. So, please ensure that your images don't exceed 1000 pixels high or 800 wide, or you'll get a message advising that they has been rejected! Before some says that these numbers are the wrong way around, those chosen will fit within the width of the average screen, but height isn't so much of a problem when viewing.

Of course, this does NOT apply to the competition upload system on the main club website, which still accept images up to 1920 wide by 1200 high
IanT
Chairman

Re: Image sizes for forum post attachments

Postby IanT » Sat May 24, 2014 2:31 pm

To answer a gripe voiced by two members, the max size for attachments has been increased to 1200 pix square. I'm anticipating grumbles from those who have to scroll around to see all parts of images of such size. Let me know if this is the case for you!
IanT
Chairman

Postby JadeE » Sat May 24, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi Ian, after seeing this I got stuck in strait away and resized an image I'd recently put in the critique thread. I was going redo it anyway as in my haste to upload it I'd forgot to straiten it thus it had some pretty wonky verticals! :roll: At 1st I made it 1200px but when i viewd it, I got scroll bars within the post surrounding the image, so I resized it to 1000px and it displayed perfectly on my 21" screen. I guess it's finding the sweet spot for useablity and the benefits of larger images. Here's the link to how it looks with a 1000px wide image:

http://www.beaconcameraclub.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3467&p=17240#p17240
JadeE

Postby IanT » Sat May 24, 2014 4:44 pm

...which was exactly my argument to those who wanted to post bigger images. Hey ho. Thanks for the feedback - let's see if anyone else has a view on it.
IanT
Chairman

Postby RuaridhM » Sat May 24, 2014 8:33 pm

I appreciate that my screen is rather small for 'serious' image display and manipulation at a max resolution of 1280x1024, but it's what I've got. Even in Full Screen mode the 1000 pix wide images have a horizontal scroll bar, given the area reserved on the right-hand side for the author information - but if I zoom the display to 90% the whole image fits the width without a scroll bar.
RuaridhM
Club Secretary

Postby Malcolmp » Sun May 25, 2014 10:42 am

Hi Ian,
sorry,it was not meant to cause any issues or come across as a gripe,just a question,and you know I'm hard of thinking :D
Put it back to whatever works best.
Regards
Malc
Malcolmp

Postby IanT » Sun May 25, 2014 10:47 am

Well, you ol' griper, Malc, at least we tried it, eh? I won't reduce the limits yet, just use sensible dimensions if you want folk to see your posts... which - I'm guessing - is why you upload stuff? :wink:
IanT
Chairman

Return to Forum management notices