Woods Raggedstone Hill

Post your images here for a (perhaps frank!) appraisal by other club members

Woods Raggedstone Hill

Postby billf » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:06 pm

I managed a few shots before the restrictions.

Some impressionistic treatment with intentional camera movement.

Its a beautiful spot but I always struggle to capture what it feels like, this is an attempt!

Cheers

Bill Fleming

attachment=0]Raggedstone 1Doors and windows 2.jpg[/attachment]
Raggedstone 2Doors and windows 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billf

Re: Woods Raggedstone Hill

Postby IanT » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:38 am

I think that the letter-box version works best, Bill: it has a few 'non-smudged' elements which stop it looking as bland as the large image. The colour palette works quite well, although the green is a bit OTT, and I do find both images are a little too muddy for my liking. A bit more contrast needed, maybe?
IanT
Internal CompSec

Postby billf » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:43 pm

Thanks Ian. I prefer the letter box too. I did push the green so it is heading towards "overcooked" perhaps.
I might try and print on a matte paper just to see what it looks like.
I do love woods but I find them very challenging, trying to get rid of distractions and, as always, light is everything.
Cheers Bill
billf

Postby rogerb » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:18 am

I prefer the landscape one, because you can see the shape of a green hill, or what looks like that. Not sure whether I would crop a bit of the right hand side making it a bit less extreme letterbox.

One minor frustration with this was that my browser would not display the whole image, but just a scrollable window, so the only way I could see all the image at once was to download them and view them in another app. That is despite my display being 2880 pixels wide and this being a 1200 pixel image. Not sure whether that is a problem with browser settings or the way the forum web page works, though it's the same on two browsers.

Roger
rogerb

Postby RuaridhM » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:30 pm

Roger,

At least in Firefox (and I haven't tried others) I found I could go into the tool menu (3 horizontal bars at the far right of the toolbar) and by 'Zoom' click the minus sign successively until I could see the whole image.
However, that does not stretch the image across the full width of my screen. To do that I had to save the image (right-click on it) and view it in the photo viewer.
I dare say there are other methods I've not thought of ...!
RuaridhM
Club Secretary

Postby rogerb » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:49 pm

Your second method is the one I used to view it all. When I zoomed out, the image shrank along with the text, and did not enable me to see all of it.
rogerb

Postby IanT » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:42 am

rogerb wrote:One minor frustration with this was that my browser would not display the whole image, but just a scrollable window, so the only way I could see all the image at once was to download them and view them in another app. That is despite my display being 2880 pixels wide and this being a 1200 pixel image. Not sure whether that is a problem with browser settings or the way the forum web page works, though it's the same on two browsers.
Roger

Not sure if you are a Maccy or a Windy, Roger, but with most browsers if you have a mouse with a wheel, press the Ctrl (or whatever) key, roll the wheel and browser window will zoom in and out.
IanT
Internal CompSec

Postby billf » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:58 am

Thank you for going to such lengths to view my images, the letterbox would appear to be the preferred one.

Cheers

Bill Fleming
billf

Return to Critique thread