Is this OK?

Post your images here for a (perhaps frank!) appraisal by other club members

Is this OK?

Postby PeterJ » Fri May 24, 2019 3:20 pm

Norfolk.jpg
I took this photo from a bird hide at Cley next the Sea, Norfolk.

I have cropped it (LR) and adjusted the B&W highlights.

I like it but wonder if it's any good for a competition entry etc. Being new to photography and the BCC I'd appreciate any feedback (or help).

Thankyou

Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterJ

Re: Is this OK?

Postby peterr » Sun May 26, 2019 5:11 pm

Well, with the high key approach you have tried for something a bit different, which certainly will help as judges and the BCC panel always like to see the photographer having put something of their own interpretation into an image, rather than just recording what is there. However, I think there is just a bit too much negative space and I would have cropped off some of the top. I would also have got rid of some of the distracting dark reflections (e.g. near the top of the wader's right leg). The very light areas in the main reflection are also a bit of a distraction. Finally, I would have lifted the shadow areas in the plumage a little. Perhaps not the best or most flattering pose of the wader, but in terms of a first stab at a competition entry, not bad at all.
peterr

Re: Is this OK?

Postby PeterJ » Mon May 27, 2019 5:06 pm

Thankyou, and thankyou for replying. It isn't easy getting one's head around all the possibilities but I will try again. I have also been checking out how to export from LR (Jpeg, file size etc.) and will be asking someone for a few tips in the near future I'm sure, maybe at one of the cafes.

There's a lot t learn but it's all very exciting!
PeterJ

Return to Critique thread