Is this OK?

Post your images here for a (perhaps frank!) appraisal by other club members

Is this OK?

Postby PeterJ » Fri May 24, 2019 3:20 pm

Norfolk.jpg
I took this photo from a bird hide at Cley next the Sea, Norfolk.

I have cropped it (LR) and adjusted the B&W highlights.

I like it but wonder if it's any good for a competition entry etc. Being new to photography and the BCC I'd appreciate any feedback (or help).

Thankyou

Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterJ

Re: Is this OK?

Postby peterr » Sun May 26, 2019 5:11 pm

Well, with the high key approach you have tried for something a bit different, which certainly will help as judges and the BCC panel always like to see the photographer having put something of their own interpretation into an image, rather than just recording what is there. However, I think there is just a bit too much negative space and I would have cropped off some of the top. I would also have got rid of some of the distracting dark reflections (e.g. near the top of the wader's right leg). The very light areas in the main reflection are also a bit of a distraction. Finally, I would have lifted the shadow areas in the plumage a little. Perhaps not the best or most flattering pose of the wader, but in terms of a first stab at a competition entry, not bad at all.
peterr

Postby PeterJ » Mon May 27, 2019 5:06 pm

Thankyou, and thankyou for replying. It isn't easy getting one's head around all the possibilities but I will try again. I have also been checking out how to export from LR (Jpeg, file size etc.) and will be asking someone for a few tips in the near future I'm sure, maybe at one of the cafes.

There's a lot t learn but it's all very exciting!
PeterJ

Postby ronj » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:04 am

Hi Peter J, I would also point out that if you enter an external wildlife or nature competition,you have to be guided by the rules of that competition. Image manipulation is very limited, not as it is at BCC. where it is a lot more flexible !
ronj

Postby gregm » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:55 pm

Yes
gregm

Postby SteveM » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:39 am

Whats wrong with adding a bit of artistic flare to your nature shots Ron? I think its a lot better that the Club has relaxed the rules slightly ,
and we are not seeing just a load of regimented record/snap shots.
SteveM

Postby ronj » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:09 am

I'm just quoting what the rules for nature and wildlife competitions are outside Beacon camera club. Have you got out of bed on the wrong side again ?
ronj

Postby ronj » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:07 pm

Oh and by the way, talking about loads of record, or regimented snap shots, you could say the same about flowers, fern, and butterflies asleep, where you can apply a mist to conceal a lack of sharpness or lack of a depth of field in the original photo, Or as you call it ""artistic flair."
Landscapes, they are mostly all record or regimented snapshots, i've probably seen ninety nine percent of them before.
Portraiture, images of anonymous wizened old men and women , Asian kids, and stuff from the Black country museum, seen it all before.
Nothings new!!!
ronj

Postby SteveM » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:34 pm

All these jibes seemed to be aimed at me Ron as you have picked up on a few images i have posted on Facebook...
SteveM

Postby ronj » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:51 am

Steve, the rules weren't relaxed slightly to give people a chance to apply "a bit of artistic flair" as you say.
When I spoke to a prominent member of the committee earlier this year they said it was done to encourage more entries.
By doing this you get fewer entries which would be able to qualify for external wildlife and nature competitions.
No entries into external wildlife/nature competitions have been made by the club, probably because of a lack of images that qualify !
You said rather than seeing "a load of record or regimented / snapshots", referring to Wildlife, I said that this could apply to most genres of photography.
This included every ones not only yours, iv,e been in the club thirteen years and images I saw when I started would stand the test of time against most images taken today, as I said iv'e seen most of them before !
ronj

Postby SteveM » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:49 am

Ron, As you seem quite concerned about this situation I feel that you would be the perfect candidate to take over as the new leader of the nature group. You have all the attributes and I think you could really push to revive the group which may resolve the issues with external competitions.
SteveM

Postby ronj » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:50 pm

Iv'e got enough to do looking after myself, maybe twenty years ago !
ronj

Return to Critique thread