B&W processing

Ask your questions about forum operation or facilities.

B&W processing

Postby GerryD » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:34 am

Having been given a few Ilford B&W films at the club last night, XP2 (C41) and good old FP4. I have dug out my old Chinon CM-4s SLR and intend using the films.
In the "Good Old Days" I would develope and printed my B&W films; but back then I had access to a darkroom, enlarger etc.
I think C41 is commonly processed by Boots but I don't know about the Silver emulsion FP4.
Where do folks get their B&W films processed. Anyone in the club doing B&W processing?
Can a scan of a B&W negative be turned into a positive by photoprocessing software?

Thanks,

Gerry
GerryD

Re: B&W processing

Postby billf » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:56 pm

I understand Boots have closed about half of their in store C41 processing labs but still do a postal service based in Nottingham. As for" good old FP4" good luck, those using film usually develop it themselves which involves getting developer and fix. If you are going down that route you would probably want to print your own prints. I don't see much point in developing film if you then scan it and then digitally print it. Also beware the film hasn't deteriorated
I used to do all that and loved it but its now a real labour of love as well as bring expensive.
Smethwick camera club I believe still have a dark room and facilities for printing but when you're already a member of the best photography club in the Midlands why go backwards!
Hope it goes well whatever you do.
Cheers Bill Fleming
billf

Postby GerryD » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:23 pm

Thanks Bill, I will try the C41 route to start with.
I do recall with fondness the smell of fixer and hours in the Red Light of the dark room making stark high contrast prints using Pan F film and "hard" grade papers.

Gerry
GerryD

Postby IanT » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:52 am

GerryD wrote:Can a scan of a B&W negative be turned into a positive by photoprocessing software?

Most scanners that are equipped to scan film have the option to invert the image (both for colour an B&W negs) and store it as a positive, but if you don't have one of those you could photograph the neg with your digital camera and then simply invert the image in your image editor. Voila.
IanT
Internal CompSec

Postby billf » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:21 am

There was something special about the dark room I agree however the smell of sepia toning was not one the rest of the family enjoyed, rotten eggs and stink bombs come to mind!
billf

Return to How do I....?